uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Binary incompatible changes to framework-only code
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:13:00 GMT
I tried looking this up on the internet, and found one reference that suggest
this would be OK, since the changed method is unreference in user code.

However, I think a reliable way to see if this is an issue is to test it,
something like:
1) make a class that uses UimaContext.getContext(), and compile that and run it
using the former definition of UimaContext.
2) try running the same compiled class (without recompiling it) with the class
path changed to include the changed version of UimaContext.

If it complains, then even though this isn't referencing the changed method,
Java is saying it can't be run without recompiling it.
If it doesn't complain, then I don't think there's any issue (except for code
using the internal use only APIs of UimaContext, which I think is OK).

-Marshall