uima-dev mailing list archives

From Burn Lewis <burnle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] uimaj sdk 2.10.0 rc1
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2017 22:32:26 GMT
My tests using an external variable as part of the value of an import's
name or location attribute have been successful.  The problem is with a
UIMA-AS deployment of such an aggregate ... this fails when dd2spring
processes the aggregate, as at this stage the external override settings
have not been loaded. So this is not a 2.10.0 problem .... UIMA-AS will
have to be updated to make use of this feature.

The other issue is what I now believe is a poor design choice I made in
Jira 5208 which lets an external overrides settings file be loaded from the
class path or data path.  Currently if the file name is relative but not
found in the filesystem the class path and data path are searched.  A
cleaner design would be to follow the same convention used for importing
descriptors by name, i.e. use the java class notation to indicate that the
class path & data path must be searched (after replacing "." by "/" and
adding ".settings".)  The presence of a "/" in a file name would imply a
filesystem lookup.

Thus a specification of *-DUimaEternalOverries=abc/test.settings,d.e.f.test
*would load the first file from the filesystem and load the second as
*d/e/f/test.settings* from the class path or data path.  The current
implementation makes it possible to silently change a program's parameters
by merely adding a file to the filesystem that replaces one that is usually
loaded from the class path ... perhaps not a desirable feature.

Since this is not a severe problem I don't feel I can justify voting rc1
down so I'll hold off until I have a potential fix, and will wait for other
comments.

Burn