uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] uimaj sdk 3.0.0 beta rc2
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2017 14:33:25 GMT
I'll make this new getter on the API a "default method", which should get rid of
the compile errors.

Thanks! -Marshall

P.S., the quick overview of v3:

1) FSs are Java objects, can be garbage collected when no longer referenced.

2) Iterators no longer throw ConcurrentModificationException - the iterators use
a lazy copy-on-write technique to continue iterating over the unmodified state
of the index (although that can be reset by using moveToFirst/Last/FS).

3) Using special JCas classes you can effectively put any Java object into the
CAS.  This is used for 3 new semi-built-in types:
  - FSArrayList (like FSArray, but adjustible, like Java ArrayList
  - FSHashSet
  - IntegerArrayList - like ArrayList, but holds ints

4) New logging setup, defaults to old one, but allows slf4j and its connection
to many alternative loggers

5) new "select" api allowing comprehensive iterator/stream ops on Uima indexes,
with support for
  - ignoring typeOrdering (the default)
  - coveredBy, covering
  - many other options (inspired by uimaFIT)

6) Lots of new APIs integrate with new Java 8 constructs.  UIMA Logger supports
lambda values to allow deferring log message construction unless needed.
Indexes support Iterable.

7) performance seems better, but likely depends on particular kinds of use.

8) except for needed regenerated or migrated JCas classes (migration tool
provided), should be backwards compatible.