uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using a UIMAClassLoader only when necessary
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2017 22:22:02 GMT
On 04.10.2017, at 00:00, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:

> I think I need help in understanding this.  AFAIK, there's only one thing a
> resource manager has - an instance of the UIMA Class loader (or not).
>
> I don't understand the different capabilities you refer to.  How would you, for
> example, set the "resource classloader of the resource manager" without creating
> the UIMA Class loader instance?

As a background: what got me thinking about this is the fact that the JCas registry
tracks JCas classes per classloader. uimaFIT is currently creating new resource
managers all the time and it may cause the registry to be populated with a large
number of classloaders.

That said, the resource managers that uimaFIT creates usually all use the same
classloader. But this is not visible to UIMA/the JCas registry, because every
time the classloader is passed to a resource manager, the RM wraps it in an
UIMAClassLoader. So the reason why the JCas registry ends up with so many
classloaders is the large set of UIMAClassLoader that get created.

When simply creating a resource manager and configuring it with a custom
classloader, wouldn't it be sensible to not wrap it in a UIMAClassLoader?

E.g. create a UIMAClassLoader inside the RM for
- setExtensionClassPath(classpath, resolveResource)
- setExtensionClassPath(ClassLoader, String, boolean)

but not for
- setExtensionClassLoaderImpl(ClassLoader, boolean)

because in the latter case, no custom classpath is set (this special
capability of the UIMAClassLoader is not used).

Cheers,

-- Richard