uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject signing Eclipse Plugins - a proposed approach
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2017 15:34:24 GMT
I've documented a proposed approach on the website:
https://uima.apache.org/dev-eclipse-plugin-signing

This can also be reached from the
  home page ->
    (left nav bar) Eclipse Update Sites ->
      Information for developers ->
        information about plugin signing

The basic idea is a 2 phase approach - the first phase is normal, like now, no
signing, producing the release candidate to vote on.  Once the Vote passes, then
a simple/mechanical repackaging of the update site is done, including signing,
with just a sanity check at the end that the result installs:

  1. run the ant script "prepare-to-sign"
  2. manually sign on to the signing portal, upload the jars in
target/eus-work/plugins, sign them, and download the signed jars to
target/eus-work-signed/plugins
  3. run the ant script "finish-after-signing"

This avoids charging Apache for signing for release candidates that subsequently
fail.  Because the actions following the vote are only mechanical "binary"
packaging, I think we don't need another vote.

I'm working on making the ant scripts for this, using the uimaj-v3 as the guinea
pig.

WDYT?

-Marshall