uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem with creating type systems with extra features merged from JCas class definitions - needs some creative thinking
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2018 09:58:45 GMT
On 19.01.2018, at 03:37, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:

> The trouble with this is that it breaks several serializations (where the type
> system is required to be "known", for example Cas Complete serialization),
> because the layout of the serialized format is with respect to the type system
> which created the serialization.
>
> I'm not sure what a reasonable solution to this issue is; thoughts welcomed :-)

Several thoughts:

- The CasCompleteSerializer (as opposed to the CASSerializer) includes a CASMgrSerializer.
  We use the CASMgrSerializer in CasIOUtils to optionally reinitialize the CAS with a type
  system different from what it had at creation time via setupCasFromCasMgrSerializer().
  Doesn't that contain sufficient information about the type system to decode it?

- Allow disabling the augmentation of the CAS from JCas classes, e.g. for people
  that need full control over the type system in the CAS and do not want to use
  JCas with that CAS (and also cannot easily use classloader isolation).
  The idea was brought up earlier already when we observed that UIMA v2 had an
  option to disable JCas.

- It may be possible to mark features which were automatically obtained from
  the JCas and to not take these into account when deserializing with CasComplete.
  It would cause an inconsistency though: when loading the data into a CAS and
  storing the data again (both with CasComplete), the type systems in the input
  and output would differ.

Cheers,

-- Richard