uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: managing multiple version streams
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2018 22:06:17 GMT
If we change the artifact IDs, then IMHO we should also change the package names. That would
allow multiple versions to co-exist. If we just change the artifactIds and not the packages,
then Maven could end up adding multiple artifacts with overlapping and incompatible packages
to the classpath.

DKPro Core and WebAnno are both maintaining multiple versions in parallel. We're using GIT
here, but I assume the general strategy we use could also be applied to SVN:

- there is a "master" branch (i.e. svn trunk) which contains the very latest version. In terms
of
  UIMA that would be v3.
- there is one or more "maintenance" branches (e.g. 1.8.x, 1.9.x, etc. i.e. in svn branches/1.8.x,

  branches/1.9.x) where older versions are maintained
- when there are bug-fixes to older versions, these branches are usually merged into the master
  branch as well
- new features are usually added to the master branch, but minor features may also be added
into
  the maintenance branches and be merge from there into the master branch
- changes to the master branch do usually not get merged back into the maintenance versions

We have then multiple Jenkins builds set up that monitor the different branches and build
them.

Release are done from the respective branches when convenient.

Personally, I'd tend go down that road for uimaFIT since it worked out well for me on other
projects.

I haven't done a lot of merging with SVN for a while - with git it works great.

Cheers,

-- Richard