uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Ruta 2.7.0 RC2
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2019 16:13:26 GMT
a few comments on the comments:

re: Catch blocks - multi-catches.  Recently Joern submitted a big patch for
something similar:
try with resources.

I think he did this using some refactoring tool, perhaps part of Intellij Idea
framework.

Using tools is usually better than doing things by hand :-)  (more reliable)

------------

re: need to install UIMA plugins first.

I typically don't do that!

Instead I tell Eclipse where to find the uima plugins, by going to the "Manage"
button on the top level install new software panel, and just adding the main
UIMA site (https://www.apache.org/dist/uima/eclipse-update-site/uima ).
This has the effect of enabling the Ruta install to fetch just those OSGi
bundles it depends on.

Of course, it's also a good test to first install the UIMA plugins...

===========

Re: "This is normal behavior since you most likely did not install the IDE
extensions Eclipse plugins for these language elements."

Is there a reason these extensions are not automatically installed with
everything else?
It's nice to be able to eliminate user's encounters with error situations they
would not expect.
===========

Re: whether or not to release anyways.
I know all releases still have bugs.
The main reasons to do another RC would be (in my opinion)
  - if these issues would likely "hit" users of Ruta, and therefore lead to
perhaps a somewhat negative perception about "quality" and
  - if fixing (most of) them would not be a big effort.

Peter, how would you assess these?

Of course, doing another RC means another cycle of testing,
but by comparing (diff-ing) with this RC, the review might go faster...

-Marshall

On 2/10/2019 4:20 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> Hi,
>

> thank you for the extensive review :-)
>

> Comments below...
>

> Am 09.02.2019 um 00:49 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
>> Trying to build with Java "11.0.1" 2018-10-16 LTS...
>>
>>   Result:   Fails when japicmp-maven-plugin is invoked
>>   Severity: not a blocker
>>   Comment:  Consider configuring the Maven enforcer plugin such that
>>             it checks that a Java 8 is being used to compile - or -
>>             fix the build by copying the required configurations from
>>             the UIMA core framework build. Dependency on Java 8 not
>>             mentioned in the README file in the "Building from the
>>             Source Distribution" section
>
> Yes, nothing happended yet towards Java 11.
>

>> Trying to build with Java "1.8.0_181"...
>>
>>   Result:   Build successful
>>
>> Downloaded source ZIP
>>
>> Built ruta-maven-example
>>
>>   Result:   Build successful
>>
>> Built ruta-ep-example-extensions
>>
>>   Result:   Build successful
>>
>> Check ruta-tutorial-GermanNovels "examples" project
>>
>>   Result:   contains only latex source code
>>   Severity: not a blocker
>>   Comment:  It would be more useful if a pre-compile PDF would
>>             be included in the repo, e.g. in the "GermanNovels" examples
>>             folder. Having the latex sources under the examples folder seems odd.
>
> I wonder if this tutorial caused more problems than it helped. I am
> really thinking about removing it...
>
> It does not present current best practices.
>

>> Checking DEPENDENCIES file
>>
>>   Result:   No issue found
>>
>> Checking README file
>>
>>   Result:   ok
>>   Comment:  The README file mentions the uimaFIT JCasGenPomFriendly
>>             which doesn't exist anymore since quite some time.
>>             Empty line missing before "mvn clean install"
>
> Yep, I'll remove that.
>

>> Checking ruta-2.7.0-source-release.zip.sha512
>>
>>   Result:   ok
>>
>> Spot checking code changes
>>
>>   Result:   ok
>>   Comment:  Many catch blocks could be consolidated using Java 8 multi-catches.
>>             Ample opportunities for cleaner code up using lambdas.
> Oh yes.
>

>>             The language syntax documentation says e.g. `("<-" "{" SimpleStatement+
"}")*`
>>             but shouldn't that be a `+` in the end (i.e. 1-or-more)?
>
> This is the gammar rule for inlined rules as condition, right? The star
> quantifier is correct, the inlined rule block is optional.
>

>>             Some unit test methods declare excessive lists of thrown exceptions.
This
>>             can be simplified by just declaring `throws Exception` on the unit test
>>             method. Doing so on @Test methods is not harmful or bad style.
>
> I did a small refactoring with the effect that I added another
> exception. I was actually thinking about replacing them, but I was just
> too lazy.
>

> I normally try to improve the code when I touch it. Maybe I will find
> some time to improve it overall and use some more up to date Java stuff.
>

>> Installed Ruta from update site into a freshly downloaded Eclipse
>>
>>   Result:   ok
>>   Comment:  needed to install UIMA Eclipse plugins first
>
> This is only due to the RC update site which does not contain the other
> UIMA bundles.
>

>> Imported example projects into Eclipse
>>
>>   Result:   errors
>>   Comment:  I pointed "Import -> Existing Projects" at the examples folder
>>             contained in the source ZIP. Several projects are imported.
>>             The "Extensions Example" and "GermanNovels" projects have errors.
>>             "GermanNovels" is a Maven project, but is not imported as such.
>>             Even when importing it via "Import -> Existing Maven Projects",
>>             it has errors.
>>
>>             The "ruta-maven-example" fails (I run Eclipse on Java 11):
>>
>> Execution descriptors of goal org.apache.uima:ruta-maven-plugin:2.7.0:generate failed:
Failed to read candidate component class: URL [jar:file:/Users/bluefire/.m2/repository/org/apache/uima/ruta-core/2.7.0/ruta-core-2.7.0.jar!/org/apache/uima/ruta/resource/XMLEventHandler.class];
nested exception is org.springframework.core.NestedIOException: ASM ClassReader failed to
parse class file - probably due to a new Java class file version that isn't supported yet:
class path resource [org/xml/sax/helpers/DefaultHandler.class]; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
(org.apache.uima:ruta-maven-plugin:2.7.0:generate:descriptors:process-classes)

>>             It seems as if an old version of ASM is used to analyze classes from
the Java 11 JDK (which ASM does not understand yet).