uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject graphQL and UIMA
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2019 22:10:10 GMT
I've recently reclimbed multiple learning curves (huff / puff !) learning about
"modern" technologies and eco-systems for building static web page sites (like
our uima site, done using velocity macros, designed about 12 years ago?)

One set of things I picked up on was using React and Gatsby.  These come with an
approach for querying data that is better than most Rest APIs, because it allows
you to get just the data you want in one query, when the data is represented as
hierarchical JSON.

Some time ago, we added JSON serialization to UIMA, with some complexities
around enabling accurate representation of the complete complexities of
interlinked UIMA features.

It strikes me that users frequently are interested in much simpler kinds of
things, and sometimes roll their own simple json serializers of some small part
of the CAS.

I'm wondering if we could figure out and implement some general kind of graphQL
support, to enable users to easily spec-out and retrieve what they wanted, and
whether or not the user community would find that of interest?

-Marshall