uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject working with uimaFIT, git, eclipse, .gitignore files?
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:07:12 GMT
Hi,

I was able to use the latest Eclipse (2019-06) to import a local-disk clone of
the uima-fit git repo.

The trick was to select File -> import -> Git -> Projects from Git (with smart
import).

The smart import recognizes the nested form of subprojects and sets up things in
eclipse properly.

======

I did a local git checkout -b mymaster to create a branch to play around with.

Then I did the import above.  I had to do a maven-update to the
uimafit-benchmark project, and then everything was OK in Eclipse.

At one point (before) I saw some .settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs files were
updated by Eclipse.

I see there's (only) a .gitignore file for the top-most containing "uimafit"
project which ignores this.
Looking at the EGit docs https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide it says it
.gitignore files are inherited, with lower level ones overriding higher level
(in the file tree) ones.

So, once you put a .gitignore at the top level, you don't need them in
subprojects (unless you need to override), correct?

-Marshall