uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: naming of github "tags" - need to include /rel/ it seems...
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2019 02:10:59 GMT
I think this problem is avoidable, if we do not delete the other tag.

-----------------

Here's a may-not-too-complex way to add a rel/style tag after a vote passes.
It can be done with two command:

git tag -m "proj-name-1.2.3 rc1 released" rel/proj-name-x.y.z proj-name-x.y.z^{}

git push origin rel/proj-name-x.y.z

How to understand the above commands:

1) git tag: create a tag.
2) -m "message"
   make an "annotated tag" that includes this message
3) rel/proj-name-x.y.z  that is the name of the "new" tag to create
4) proj-name-x.y.z   that is the name of an existing reference tag
5)   ^{}  this is a git syntax for "peeling the onion" and it means to
     change the reference from the annotated tag proj-name-x.y.z to
     the commit the tag is annotating.

You can use the git show ...tag-name... on both tags to confirm they point to
the same commit hash.

6) the 2nd command just pushes the new tag that was created to the upstream repo.

-Marshall