uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject naming of github "tags" - need to include /rel/ it seems...
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2019 20:21:40 GMT
Hi,

In the asf infra slack channel, I asked about github branch protection, and was
told the default protection is set for:
   refs/heads/trunk
   refs/heads/master
   refs/heads/rel/
   refs/tags/rel/

I noticed that the tags in uimaj and uimafit github projects are named omitting
the /rel/ parts, e.g.:

   refs/tags/uimafit-3.0.0

which you can see if you clone the repo, and then do a "git ls-remote --tags".

Does this mean that we need to rename the tags to include the /rel/ segment?

I found a reference on the lucene hadoop mailing list, here
https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/UPDATE-New-ASF-git-policy-on-force-pushes-Tags-Stale-branches-td4250858.html

which says that once a vote passes, the release tag has to be pushed to a name
with /rel/ in it, in order to be protected.

I'm beginning to draft a new web-page for uima, on how to release with git...
which will include this bit.

Meanwhile, none of our previous releases that came over from SVN were named this
way, so they're not protected, but perhaps that's not too important, because
they're in SVN in read-only status.

WDYT?  -Marshall