uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: git process to make changes, for committers
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2019 08:13:00 GMT
On 6. Jun 2019, at 16:14, Richard Eckart de Castilho <rec@apache.org> wrote:

> On 6. Jun 2019, at 16:11, Richard Eckart de Castilho <rec@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> - rebase is nice for small commits
>
> ... small PRs (not small commits)

I'll take that back. Attached is a screenshot which highlights why I don't really like rebase
commits at all.

The red box contains two branches which I created locally and which I had created PRs for.
I cannot see easily in the history whether these commits have already been merged because
there is no "arc" from those branches back to the branch into which they were merged. Looking
carefully at the history, I can indeed see the same messages in the master and v2 branches,
so I could assume that my PRs have been merged - but they could also be other commits just
bearing the same message. When I try to delete my local branches, my git client (Sourcetree)
wisely asks me if I am sure I want to do this, because it cannot determine either that the
changes were merged. If it could it wouldn't ask me.

So for what it's worth: I'd prefer staying away from rebase merges.

Cheers,

-- Richard