uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: working in git on 2 branches
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2019 21:09:23 GMT
Here are two options I have used so far:

== Two PRs

- create one PR against branch "master"
- create a second PR against "master-legacy-version" into which you cherry-pick the changes
from the first PR

== Merging branches (this is the one I usually use)

- this requires that "master" and "master-legacy-version" have some common history
- tell git that all changes against "master-legacy-version" have been merged into master by
calling "git merge -s ours master-legacy-version" on a checked-out "master"
- create a PR against the "master-legacy-version" and merge it
- repeat for other PRs if you like
- merge the "master-legacy-version" into master (or create a PR to do this merge if you cannot
push to master directly)

Considering what you write, I think you'd also like to go with option 2. I use option 1 usually
only if I accidentally did a bugfix PR against master which should have gone into "master-legacy-version"

For uimaFIT, I have so-far used only option 1 but it is tedious. I'd prefer switching to option
2 at some point.

-- Richard