uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject working in git on 2 branches
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2019 20:44:38 GMT
Hi,

For uimaj project in git, we have 2 "master" branches: the master (which has v3
version of the code), and master-2 (which has the v2 version of the code).

If I commit / push a change to the master, and now want to have the same change
in the v2 version, what's the recommended process to achieve that?

For example, I pushed an update to .gitignore at the uimaj project level (this
has all of the sub projects as subfolders), for v3.  I'd like the same change in v2.

I can't say "merge" into v2, because there's lots of code which is different
intentionally...

I want to say merge just this file, or merge just changes after this date, I
think.   Or maybe there's another way entirely to do this (e.g. have two local
clones and 2 open Eclipse's and copy the file from one to the other - but this
seems clumsy and error prone)?

Thanks for any advice :-) -Marshall