uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: working in git on 2 branches
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2019 13:47:03 GMT
The merge with -s own is a great trick!  I tried it, and it does what I want, e.g.
remembers the state of things, so that a future merge just considers deltas from
that point :-)

This is what I was relying on in SVN merge, to make things "easy".  Nice to know
there's a Git equivalent.

Thanks! -Marshall

> Here are two options I have used so far:
>
> == Two PRs
>
> - create one PR against branch "master"
> - create a second PR against "master-legacy-version" into which you cherry-pick the changes
from the first PR

> == Merging branches (this is the one I usually use)
>
> - this requires that "master" and "master-legacy-version" have some common history
> - tell git that all changes against "master-legacy-version" have been merged into master
by calling "git merge -s ours master-legacy-version" on a checked-out "master"
> - create a PR against the "master-legacy-version" and merge it
> - repeat for other PRs if you like
> - merge the "master-legacy-version" into master (or create a PR to do this merge if you
cannot push to master directly)

> Considering what you write, I think you'd also like to go with option 2. I use option
1 usually only if I accidentally did a bugfix PR against master which should have gone into
"master-legacy-version"