uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA uimaFIT 3.1.0 RC2 - semantic version?
Date Mon, 04 May 2020 16:41:10 GMT
Hi,

> On 4. May 2020, at 18:30, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
>
> API Change Report shows some "bindResource" methods were removed.
>
> Sometimes, removing public methods users (may have) depended on implies incrementing
> the major component of the version.

Yes, that is correct. Normally, one would increment the major version.

> I know there have been some iterations around fixing these methods, so it may be
> fine to not increment the major number for this release.
>
> What do you think?

I have tried to keep the breaking changes to the public API minimal, mostly deprecating
stuff and only in a few cases where breaking changes could not be avoided due to "bugs"
in the API design, make these breaking changes.

Anybody "depending" on the broken methods may well have done so accidentally and I'd
rather they'd be force to review their code than continue being lucky or running
around with broken code they might not even know about.

Therefore, although it is not following exactly the rules of the semantic versioning,
I'd tend to increase only the middle version.

-- Richard