velocity-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Saltz <i...@divnivan.com>
Subject RE: ArrayList Failure
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2001 05:04:51 GMT
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, you wrote:
> > [snip]
and --snip again --

> That's right.  While it seems strange to us programmers, the philosophy of
> the Velocity Template Language (VTL) is 'Keep It Simple' because the
> audience is intented to be designers.  That isn't a statement or judgement
> about designers or their abilities, but VTL isn't supposed to be a
> programming language, and we are doing a decent job of keeping it simple, as
> much as it pains some of us :)

And I wouldn't argue against the philosophy. It is in fact, the very
thing that made me want to try a project with Velocity. So strongly
do I agree with this essential that, 1) I force empty vars into
"&nbsp;" just so the designer wouldn't have to write
#if ($var) $var #else &nbsp; #end
This is required for Netscape browsers, and we (designer and I) felt
that it was too much programming in the template. So my own rule is
no null values in table displays.

and 2) I'm not sure that I can justify a macro. At least not yet :)

Ivan