velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Velocity vs FreeMarker vs Struts vs WebWork
Date Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:04:58 GMT
Randall Parker wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:22:11 -0800, Jon Stevens wrote:
>
> >Debating other solutions here in this forum is just not worth it.
>
> I'm just looking for comparison info.
>
> >> Also, does the current Velocity doc describe the scarab version?
> >
> >Huh?
>
> You worked on some project called scarab that inspired (if I understand correctly) a
major change in the architecture and feature set of Velocity.

He still works on it. :)  What would that 'major change' be?

> Basically, I'm wondering if the documentation now fully describes the feature set that
Velocity will have once it is fully pull-MVC. Can I compare Velocity to, say, WebWork using
Velocity's doc and be
> looking at an accurate representation of the next version?

Velocity is a template engine that supports the  'pull-MVC' design
pattern, but it supports MVC equally as well, along with blob,
stovepipe, etc... :)

The only thing I can think of that Velocity does to specifically
'support' Pull-MVC is allow a an arbitrary set of objects to be placed
into the context with no requirement that they are actually used by any
given template.  This decouples the tight binding of in-context data and
the template, moving, as I understand pull-MVC, to a "Here's a set of
stuff - use what you need...".

But this notion of context isn't specific to pull-MVC - it is a
fundamental requirement for how 'transports' data between V and MC (the
template and the Java code), and came from the model that WebMacro uses
(and other tools) which certainly predates the 'formal' discussion of
pull-MVC on Turbine/Scarab.  (One may be inclined to argue that using
any of a large available set of beans in JSP is somewhat pull-ish.

The only specific feature I can imagine you may be referring to is the
notion of 'chained' contexts, and that didn't originate from/for
pull-MVC, although it does facilitate a more sophisticated application
architecture to support it.

geir

Velocity : it's not just a good idea. It should be the law.
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity