velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Velocity vs FreeMarker vs Struts vs WebWork
Date Sun, 18 Feb 2001 00:21:45 GMT
Randall Parker wrote:

> Jon,
>
> Your article at that URL made it sound like you were making a big change to Velocity
to support pull MVC. I want to know whether you think that the details of that change are
fully reflected in the current
> doc. I want to compare that version of Velocity to other possible tools. In order to
do that I'd like to know that the doc that I'm reading isn't missing anything important that
is being put in as a result of the
> change that you discuss in that article.

I know this was addressed to Jon, but let me make it clear :

There were no changes required to make Velocity compatible with the Pull
MVC model.  The fundamental design of Velocity already supported pull
MVC.

Pull MVC is simply about how to *use* Velocity.

There were changes made in frameworks and applications to support this
model (Jason Van Zyl et al's work in Turbine to implement a pull model),
but as a supporting tool, Velocity needed no changes.

Compare Velocity as it stands to other tools.  It is fundamentally
feature complete.

> I've seen from your postings in Tomcat Dev as well that you speak of Velocity more as
being in the process of becoming something much better as if perhaps some key elements of
that change aren't there
> yet.
>So, again, I want to compare this pull MVC version of Velocity to the alternatives. But
if there are key elements of that version that are not present in the doc then trying to do
that comparison now
> would prejudice the results against Velocity and the exercise of doing the comparison
would be premature.

There is no such thing as a 'pull MVC version of Velocity'.

geir

Velocity : it's not just a good idea. It should be the law.
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity