velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <...@xyris.com>
Subject RE: How to link to non Velocity pages?
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:04:19 GMT
To be frank, I am not sure that this is a topical message for this list...

more inline.

> From: Shaun Campbell [mailto:Shaun.Campbell@entranet.co.uk]
>
> I am trying to use Velocity to generate a framework or a
> portal to access
> Velocity and other pre-existing web sites.  I have a drop
> down list box in
> the header to allow the user to select the app.  Also, there
> will be the
> standard options for home, logon and logout etc.

Great.  The more Velocity users the better!

> The Velocity apps aren't so bad because we have put them all under one
> webapp and given each app a separate sub directory. This
> means that all the
> Velocity apps can now use the same layouts and navigation
> etc. If the we
> change the layouts then it changes for all the apps. I don't
> know if there
> is a better way to do this.  I am a bit concerned about all developers
> working on the same webapp to develop their own screens.

Not sure if I understand you.  Is this turbine related?  If writing plain
servlets, you can have each developer have their own servlet under the same
webapp, sharing template, which seems right. That way you have a consistant
look and feel.

> The problem is with accessing pre-existing web sites.  In
> this case if I
> link to this site from within Velocity all the layout and
> navigation is
> lost.  I can't guide the user back to the home page, login or
> logout or
> anything else I want them to be able to do.
>
> Is there any way around this?

Well, you could frame, but frames are awful...  Not much I can do to help
you here.  Have you looked at some of the other tools available through
apache?

geir