velocity-user mailing list archives

From Magnus ?or Torfason <mag...@handtolvur.is>
Subject RE: Velocity and wrong file name
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:20:48 GMT

> We can, in Velocity, declare a few of our own exceptions, and throw
> those.  The thing I was trying to do is to keep it as simple as possible
> to keep the number of import classes specific to Velocity to a minimum -
> especially if Turbine is moving towards a 'template engine agnostic'
> model.  There is not much you can do with really specific information at
> runtime, I think, and it's logged anyway in the vel runtime log.
>
> I guess if that was the case (lots of Velocity-specific exceptions
> possible) , it can be handled down there in the TurbineVelocityService,
> and just map to whatever set of exceptions turbine may use internally.
> It's not clear that Turbine has this kind of support in that the
> 'template engine agnostic' model may be a figment of my fevered
> imagination.
>
> geir

I have very good experience with having a specific Exception declared for
each of my subsystems (comparable to org.apache.velocity.VelocityException
or something like that).

Classes that wish to communicate specific errors then define INNER classes
(static) as exceptions, that extend the base Exception.  No imports :)

Magnus