velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Ewan Makepeace" <ewan_makepe...@yahoo.com>
Subject New User
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 07:55:59 GMT
RE: How to link to non Velocity pages?Hi Everyone,

I just downloaded the last nightly build and subscribed to this list.

I have written a web application generator that builds semi complete web
apps with persistent beans and JSP based screens, which I am using in my
current project. However the generator uses a relatively crude template
parser that forces me to put a lot of the java and JSP syntax in the java
code (and we all know how ugly that can get!). As soon as my current project
is stable I plan to use the generator to generate the next iteration of
itself (the code it generates is a lot nicer than the code it is built with
if you know what I mean!)

I toyed with the idea of using JSP as the template engine - since the next
version will run under Tomcat that would be OK for the Java code, but you
cannot easily generate JSP using JSP - the tags get mixed up! Then I cam
across Velocity and it looked just about ideal - a simple clean syntax,
support for loops and if-then and direct hooks to Java.

So a couple of simple questions for you all before I get too deep into
Velocity:
1)    Is Velocity a good match for this type of project?
2)    I havn't seen much change on the web site since I first saw it 6
months ago - is there a stable release in sight?
3)    I have also noticed Turbine (which seems to be similar to my own
project) - is it worth investigating?

rgds
Ewan Makepeace