velocity-user mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>
Subject Re: Sun Article On Velocity
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2001 02:05:42 GMT
I took the liberty of submitting this to Linux Today
(http://linuxtoday.com/). Hope they publish it.

------------------
Unlike Java Server Pages (JSP) which require a complicated and long
process of:

edit->transform->compile->load->run

Velocity uses:

edit->parse->run

cycle, while following a strict Model-View-Controller (MVC) model,
unlike most JSP based applications.

The core of Velocity is Velocity Template Language (VTL), a simple
language most web designers can get familiar with in one afternoon.
Instead of writing Java code inside JSP's, web designers can focus on
designing pages and use building blocks written by programmers. Velocity
avoids resource exhaustion problems in production environments and is
much easier to debug due to the shorter cycle then JSP's, which have to
go through a generation stage to become servlets. This leads to a clean
separation of design and programming tasks, giving everyone a chance to
do what they do best. Naturally, the building blocks are written in Java
thus preserving all the benefits of the platform.

Here is an article that talks more in detail about Velocity:

http://dcb.sun.com/practices/profiles/velocity.jsp

Velocity is homed at Apache's Jakarta project:

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/

and its 1.0 release is scheduled in a few days.

Did I mention Velocity is an open source project where bugs are fixed
faster then you can say Microsoft ;-)

Bojan