velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nick Bauman" <n...@cortexity.com>
Subject Re: How do we win?
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:53:49 GMT
> At 12:15 PM -0700 7/16/01, Jon Stevens wrote:
>>This is a perfect example of something I see all the time:
>>     If we don't write docs, people complain that there are no docs. If
>>     we write docs, people don't read them.
>>How do we win?

d00d...

> There is far more complex world than implied by such cartesian
> either-or choices. The answer to your question is to avoid such bogus
> choices altogether. The software industry is full of examples of
>software that delights users regardless of whether they read the docs
>or not. Apple, Microsoft and Adobe are particularly well-known
> examples of companies who do this well.

I didn't get into Velocity so I can get a handjob from the likes of Adobe:
This stuff works because of what you contribute. Adobe's stuff works by how
much they can get for the software they flog. Clue! Totally different
development approaches.

> None of this is rocket science, just common-sense, Jon. Ignore it at
> your peril.

Here's some theoretical physics for you:

SHOW ME THE CODE

and stop whinin'. Do you have any idea how you come off? ASF people gives
you something _as a gift_ and you cry about how it's imperfect. Don't cry
about it, improve it. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. =)

--
Nick Bauman
Software Engineer