velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: velocity & jwaa
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:13:52 GMT
Will Glass-Husain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought the discussion on the pros and cons of velocity and jwaa was kind
> of interesting, if a little overly personal.
>
> As a note for the Velocity developers, I also had some difficulty setting
> the default directory for my templates.  This doesn't seem to be a
> fundamental flaw in Velocity, but a usability issue.  I suggest that
>
> (1) The documentation should highlight this issue somewhere up front,
> perhaps in a tutorial.  (as every new user must face it).

You are right.  To that end, there are two readme's, one in each example
directory.  I will make them a part of the formal documentation.

> (2) The getTemplate method should accept an absolute path name as well as
> one relative to the file.resource.loader.path.  I'd initially assumed this
> was the obvious way getTemplate worked.  (and apparently, Brad).

Actually, you can do that if you set the template path for the loader to
be the 'root', or the 'C-drive', or whatever...  We don't stop you from
doing what you want...

> The fact that I figured it out in 3 hours while Brad Cox took 3 days is
> likely due to me being luckier (as opposed to smarter).

Or really wanting it to work :)

> As a side note, I'm pretty pleased with the way Velocity is working out in
> our app (still under development).  It's a nice way of allowing
> non-technical users to upload HTML-like files to our site and instantly see
> the results.
>
> However, I like to learn about alternative approaches-- I look forward to
> reading more about jwaa on the site mentioned in Brad's email.

Let us know what you find...

> Best regards, WILL

System and Software Consulting