velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Why a singleton pattern?
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:25:14 GMT
Dan Kha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just curious, why does velocity use a singleton design pattern (pros,
> cons)?

That was the way it started.  It works very well, as services for the
subcomponents are immediately available.  The cons are obvious :)

> Are there plans to change it?  I guess I find it weird to include the
> velocity.jar in every webapp's lib directory.

I am working on that as we speak. Really.  This is my current mission...
I hope to have something soon.

I actually prefer putting a vel jar in every WEB-INF/lib.  I don't have
any shared jars if I can help it, because then I know that my webapp is
portable anywhere - it doesn't depend upon the explicit classpath, or
the implicit one you get when you drop a jar in the containers /lib.

Also, it means I can experiment / upgrade jars a will in individual
webapps w/o fear of interferance between them.

System and Software Consulting