velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: template encodings
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2001 19:24:03 GMT
Jonathan Revusky wrote:

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, I missed that the mergeTemplate took the *name* of the
> > > template as well. I also just was wondering what the extent to which
> > > this had been investigated and tested was.
> >
> > Extend to which *what* has been investigated and tested???  Is there a
> > bug?
>
> The "what" is using Velocity in locales with other character encodings.
> I am not reporting a bug. I was asking question or two, but now I
> understand pretty much completely where things are at, I think.

Just to be clear, for anyone looking at this thread, or finding it in
the archives -

Velocity works well in locales with non- ISO-8859-1 (latin) character
encodings.  Of the top of my head, I know that people have used it with
encodings appropriate for Russian, Japanese, Chinese, French, Spanish
and Finnish users.

Our regression testing suite even has a test, called EncodingTestCase,
that tests UTF-8, GBK (called 'high-byte' Chinese, I think) and KOI8-R,
which I believe is Cyrillic.

geir

System and Software Consulting