velocity-user mailing list archives

From Dan Finkelstein <dan.finkelst...@emind.com>
Subject Parsing error... ?#~
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:18:34 GMT
I'm not sure what to try next so I thought I'd bounce this weirdness off
you guys...

Our system goes through a bunch of velocity templates and processes
them.  When it gets to one, it generates this error:

   7 of 21: C:/projects/gusa/builds/common/b0/templates/Wrapup.html
Velocity Parsing error:
         Message...Encountered "/" at line 67, column 25.
Was expecting one of:
     "[" ...
     <RPAREN> ...
     <WHITESPACE> ...
     <STRING_LITERAL> ...
     "true" ...
     "false" ...
     <NUMBER_LITERAL> ...
     <WORD> ...
     <IDENTIFIER> ...
     "{" ...

Now, line 67 in the template is completely benign,

bordercolor="#666666" bordercolorlight="#666666" bordercolordark="#666666"
bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

so I think the line numbers are off.  Anyway, this file does use a macro,
#OutputParagraphs(string), which is stored in a library file and accessed
as follows from the first line of the template:

	#parse ("build/common/b0/templates/include/preprocessorLibrary.vm")

If I paste in the contents of this library into the template, replacing the
#parse line, velocity processes the file without an error.  I don't know
what the differences are between calling a macro "in-line" vs. through a
parsed file...

The final observation I have is that in our system we have something like a
"make", where only changed files are processed by velocity.  When we do a
"make all" this error doesn't occur.  It only occurs, it we change the
template file (that being one only file needing to process) and then run
"make".  It's as thought something has "primed" velocity in the "make all"
situation...

Any clues?  I'm baffled!
Dan

Dan Finkelstein
Senior Architect, Instructional Tools & Technology
eMind LLC
Northern California Annex
1250 Addison St, Suite #210
Berkeley, CA 94702-1700