velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Will Glass-Husain" <wgl...@forio.com>
Subject Re: velocity & jwaa
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2001 00:17:56 GMT
Hi,

I thought the discussion on the pros and cons of velocity and jwaa was kind
of interesting, if a little overly personal.

As a note for the Velocity developers, I also had some difficulty setting
the default directory for my templates.  This doesn't seem to be a
fundamental flaw in Velocity, but a usability issue.  I suggest that

(1) The documentation should highlight this issue somewhere up front,
perhaps in a tutorial.  (as every new user must face it).

(2) The getTemplate method should accept an absolute path name as well as
one relative to the file.resource.loader.path.  I'd initially assumed this
was the obvious way getTemplate worked.  (and apparently, Brad).

The fact that I figured it out in 3 hours while Brad Cox took 3 days is
likely due to me being luckier (as opposed to smarter).

As a side note, I'm pretty pleased with the way Velocity is working out in
our app (still under development).  It's a nice way of allowing
non-technical users to upload HTML-like files to our site and instantly see
the results.

However, I like to learn about alternative approaches-- I look forward to
reading more about jwaa on the site mentioned in Brad's email.

Best regards, WILL