velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Tal Dayan" <...@zapta.com>
Subject RE: velocity & jwaa
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:58:28 GMT

> > The template is in a file and a file path is a common notation to refer
> > to files in the OS.
>
> Except that templates aren't always in a file.  They can be in a jar and
> loaded by the classloader in a webapp, or in a database, or even just a
> String or a stream.

Yes, and these are very important features of Velocity (we are using the
classpath
loader for example) but it is very likely that for most people, the velocity
'hello world'
program will use a simple file and then when this works, they will move to
more advanced
configurations and only then they read the manual. ;-)

> The problem is that there is really no such thing as an out-of-the-box
> configuration - it's a library, so you have to write an application
> around it.

Yes, this is exactly what we did, a simple 'main' method that uses the
Velocity class. However, even a library can have a default configuration
and behavior.

BTW, Velocity is now integrated in our application and works just great. We
use
it to customize email notification message sent by the system and we were
very
impressed how easy it was to integrate it, we simply passed few existing
entity
beans to it and all the information was immediately available to the
template.
Thanks for all the good people that provided this great product.

Tal