velocity-user mailing list archives

From Chris Shenton <cshen...@Outbounder.com>
Subject newbie: What `controller' to use with Velocity `view'?
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2001 18:31:43 GMT
I'm pretty new to Java, but have been coding other languages for quite
a while.  At work, we've been using WebMacro for the `view' in our MVC
model, with a home-grown `controller' which manages session, access,
etc, under Apache+jserv.

I'd like to move into Velocity for `view' but am befuddled by what
`controller' to use.  Sounds like most Velocity developers are using
Jakarta-tomcat, which I haven't played with yet -- does it function as
a `controller', or is a controller just part of the tomcat framework?
Is it possible to use Velocity with jserv? Other suggestions?

For a Java newbie like me, some of the larger frameworks like what I
believe Struts or Turbine offer would be overkill.  Or maybe I should
just dive into them if they offer a sufficiently sophisticated
environment that I can leverage their facilities.  But at this point
I'm looking for simplicity and a less steep learning curve.
Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.