velocity-user mailing list archives

From Brad Cox <b...@virtualschool.edu>
Subject How do we win?
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2001 01:55:33 GMT
At 12:15 PM -0700 7/16/01, Jon Stevens wrote:
>This is a perfect example of something I see all the time:
>     If we don't write docs, people complain that there are no docs.
>     If we write docs, people don't read them.
>How do we win?

Since you put it as a question, I'll respond to it as such. Politely,
which is far from what I feel like doing.

There is far more complex world than implied by such cartesian
either-or choices. The answer to your question is to avoid such bogus
choices altogether. The software industry is full of examples of
software that delights users regardless of whether they read the docs
or not. Apple, Microsoft and Adobe are particularly well-known
examples of companies who do this well.

If you want to win, deliver products that *delight* your users
whether they read the manuals or not. Software that anticipates
common mistakes and silently prevents them (via menus that only
contain valid entries) or when that's not possible, describes the
problem in the user's frame of reference (stack backtraces do not
qualify).

If you want to lose, write software that throws NullPointerExceptions
or segfaults upon the slightest mistake (see mod_jk, Tomcat, and
Velocity for great examples of this). Then blame the user on public
listservs for not reading the manual. Better yet, impugn their
professional capabilities, even call assholes, threaten to throw them
off the list for even questioning the developers' decision. And so
forth. If you don't know what I'm talking about, see recent traffic
on this list.

None of this is rocket science, just common-sense, Jon. Ignore it at
your peril.
--
For industrial age goods there were checks and credit cards.
For everything else there is mybank.dom at http://virtualschool.edu/mybank