velocity-user mailing list archives

From Brad Cox <b...@virtualschool.edu>
Subject Re: How do we win?
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2001 02:52:26 GMT
At 10:16 PM -0400 7/16/01, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>We haven't
>heard about an NPE for a really long time now, and if we did, we'd fix
>it in a heart beat.  I agree there is no excuse for an NPE. (I would be
>surprised if every bit of code you write is NPE proof....)

Last Friday, I wrote
>  So I configured this line to read "file,class", which triggered the
>  NullPointerException I mentioned. I didn't track it down any closer;
>  the problem might be that I mispelled the class option, or the word
>  "class" collided with Java somehow, or there was some other option I
>  should have specified. Note the core problem: the lack of semantic
>  validation of information from properties files.

You responded:
>Yep - that's what I thought you did :)  I know that one.  Will be fixed.

Then in spite of repeated statements to the contrary:
>I think the core problem is that you didn't read the docs.  Again,
>section 10, "Configuring Resource Loaders" :
>I really wish you would stop waving that one example around like a
>flag...  just tell us what you did, and we will fix it.  Or you can fix
>it and send the patch.

I explained why I won't send patches before.

>I would prefer to dicuss your ideas in an open constructive forum.  You
>didn't approach this community with 'open' or 'constructive' as far as I
>can tell.  I am probably wrong as I can jump to conclusions (see that
>bit about immaturity and insufferable arrogance...:), but that's how I

When I was twenty-something I thought I knew everything too. One of
the biggest lessons I learned since then is that it is not a virtue.

>read it.  And your responses only furthered that idea.  I saw the same
>thing happen on tomcat-dev a while ago when  you brought JAWA up
>there...

That's why many of my comments are directed at jakarta as a whole,
not just Velocity.

Speaking of reading dox, did you read http://virtualschool.edu/jwaa?

>  >  Better yet, impugn their
>>  professional capabilities, even call assholes, threaten to throw them
>>  off the list for even questioning the developers' decision. And so
>>  forth. If you don't know what I'm talking about, see recent traffic
>>  on this list.
>
>I was a major cause of that recent traffic.  And I will note that it was
>my professional capabilities, my maturity, my dedication that were all
>questioned.  Not once did I resort to name calling or insults.

The message was to Jon, not you.
--
For industrial age goods there were checks and credit cards.
For everything else there is mybank.dom at http://virtualschool.edu/mybank