velocity-user mailing list archives

From Brian Lloyd-Newberry <new...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: wrapping XML document as JavaBeans?
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2001 16:20:24 GMT

--- Jon Stevens <jon@latchkey.com> wrote:
> Most people populate data objects from an XML file or RDBMS.

I played with XML here a little but wanted the $obj.attr interface not
the one that I was seeing with navigating XML trees and all. There is
no RDBMS access in the system since we are using an in-memory data
model that is not locally backed by a database (i.e. distributed
system). I also made the decision early on that we were going to
sepertate presentation data from business data (not unlike presentation
logic from business logic) and the velocity solution made things clean
and allowed me to "merge" the two data forms at presentation time. I
would have prefered XML but ran out of time and Velocity was already
there, so... :)

> This is exactly what Torque is for.

I understood torque was for "automagicing" the RDBMS <--> Object
interface. I may be misunderstanding my reading of the info on the
Turbine site. Since we had the requirement of having designers being
able to work on a static data set without access to the RDBMS (or in
our case the in-memory data model) this would be a problem. :)

> But, whatever floats your boat. If it makes you happy...

Actually in this case it was "Whatever keeps your boat floating." :)

Thanks for the feedback. And keep up the good work!

-Brian