velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: OT: how to use velocity in a backend env
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2001 11:01:52 GMT
On 10/5/01 4:20 PM, "James Maes" <jmaes@sportingnews.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
> I am going to ask this here to start with.  We are starting a new backend
> project to replace out current templating engine.  This product will build
> !30,000 pages a day from a group of ~200 templates.  We build out all pages
> from the backend to a staging server and then publish those static file to
> the live site.

That model, the render static pages and publish, is the same way that we
handle the Velocity, Turbine, Commons and others (including the main Apache
site).  However, we don't do 130k pages, and its based on static XML source
content.

> I'm looking to Velocity for its ease of use as a templating
> language for out developers.  The question that I have is how to use the
> engine within our system.  Is it feasible to roll my own "sandbox" around the
> Velocity engine and manage the Object creation myself or to look into
> currently existing applications.

It's very easy to do that.  I imagine that the process is something like you
have some number of data sets that need each to be rendered with the 200
templates?

>  Is turbine applicable?  Is there something
> else I should be looking at (as far a wrapper for this)?  Has anyone
> implement a similar project and care to offer a word or two of advice.

It sounds like a web oriented framework like turbine wouldn't at first look
be able to help you, unless you wanted this to be a 'web controlled' app.
When I first read this, I imagined a 'command line' type of app that would
be database driven that you would fire off automatically once a day (or
whenever) to render.  However, containing it within a webapp gives you a
good interface to control and monitor it. (So would a whole bunch of other
things, I guess...)

I assume that the above is too vague and general to be of specific help - so
specifically, writing your own sandbox around velocity is really easy - take
a look at any of the 'app' examples in /example to see how easy it is to use
Velocity in a standalon app environment.

Geir

> At any rate any and all help is welcomed.
>
> Thanks all
>
> -james

System and Software Consulting