velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: Anakia html page widths
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2001 18:53:27 GMT
on 10/6/01 9:33 AM, "Bob Hutchison" <hutch@xampl.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've (finally) spent some time tracking down the cause of some formatting
> behaviour in the developer's guide that I'm not too fond of. The problem is
> that I cannot conveniently read or print the document without losing the
> right hand side of the document. The same problem exists in the user guide
> but it prints in landscape at least (the developer's guide is too wide for
> that even).
>
> It turns out that it is being caused by the use of tables (presumably by
> anakia) to format text areas that contain very long words. If the long
> strings are not in tables then you only lose the right hand side of the
> lines that contain the very long words.

I'm sorry you spent time tracking down something that we already know about
and have discussed here in the past. In reality, the problem, it has nothing
to do with tables. It has to do with the use of <pre> tags to render the
stuff that shows up in the <source> tag's in the .xml source files.

> An example of what I mean is
> 'org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.DataSourceResourceLoader'
>
> OK, so there isn't anything you can do about long strings, but I sure would
> rather lose part of that one line than the whole document. This is about as
> far as I am able to take it. Is there anything that can be done in Anakia to
> solve this problem?

Use a different .vsl file to render the site. We include a printable.vsl
file in the jakarta-site2 cvs repo just for this purpose.

> Sorry if I'm blaming Anakia for something that isn't its fault.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Anakia. You wouldn't blame XSLT for
this either.

-jon