velocity-user mailing list archives

From Mike Williams <mi...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject wrapping XML document as JavaBeans?
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2001 01:04:13 GMT
Say I have the following XML document:

   <bean>
     <name>UserInfo</name>
     <field>
       <name>id</name>
       <type>int</type>
     </field>
     <field>
       <name>name</name>
       <type>java.lang.String</type>
     </field>
   </bean>

I want to make the data therein available to a Velocity template.  I could
do what Anakia does, and simply place a JDOM representation in the
Context.  However, then I'd end up with template expressions like

  $field.getChild("name").getText()

when I'd much rather write:

  $field.name

I could create explicit model JavaBean objects, like Torque does, but I
might want to deal with lots of different XML documents, and don't want to
have to generate a set of JavaBeans for each DTD.

Are there any other options?  Would it be feasible to create a generic
as
"$field.name" ?

--
cheers, Mike