velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Velocity v1.2-rc3
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2001 01:34:07 GMT
On 11/9/01 7:35 PM, "Peter Lynch" <peterlynch@mindspring.com> wrote:

> A few issues for me....
>
> I was using Nightly build of velocity 1.3 dev from October 28, 2001 no
> probs.
> Also RC2 worked no problem.
>
> Now I first see this with RC3:

> org/apache/commons/collections/ExtendedProperties
> at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.configuration.Configuration.<init>(Configuration
> .java:182)
>
> So I then added commons-collections.jar to my webapp's lib dir. Thought I
> was home free until
> this:

> org/apache/log/output/AbstractOutputTarget
>       at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
>       at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:120)
>       at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.LogManager.createLogSystem(LogManager.java:1
> 04)
>       at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.initializeLogger(RuntimeInstance
> .java:468)
>       at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.init(RuntimeInstance.java:259)
>       at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeSingleton.init(RuntimeSingleton.java:169)
>       at org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.init(Velocity.java:123)

Let me start by saying that

1) I did announce this more than once, as recently as yesterday or the day
before :)
2) I put it in the README

> Questions
> 1. Removing deprecated classes between release candidates. Is this typical?

No.  We would never remove deprecated classes.  We didn't remove any
classes, but just stopped putting all the Extra Crap in the velocity.jar.
Velocity uses logkit as its default logger, as well as commons collections
for configuration - so previously, we would dump all the classes we needed
from logkit, oro and collections in the velocity jar.

This presented problems when a user wanted to use their own collections,
logkit or oro jars.  So the new build.xml will not include non-Velocity
classes in the jar created by the default 'jar' target.

> 2. How do I get a hold on the org.apache.log.* classes? Or should I if I
> don't want that dependency?

The real solution :  I am lazy to a fault, so I also like to use the
complete jar with the dependencies, so I left in a build target called
'jar-dep' that will build a complete velocity.jar as before.  With it, you
don't need to go find collections or logkit (although I will point out that
you don't have to look any further than Velocity's build/lib directory :)

Anyhow, this is why rc3 is a rc rather than a release - things changed so we
wanted to see what would go wrong for people - so I will try to

1) document it even better than the README
2) also include a second jar with dependencies for the 1.2 release, and then
stop that with 1.3 (but leave the jar-dep target in the build :)

Hope this helps.

Geir

You're going to end up getting pissed at your software
anyway, so you might as well not pay for it. Try Open Source.