velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Robert Edgar" <robert.ed...@eeplace.com>
Subject What is the difference between a macro and a template
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2001 05:02:47 GMT
Excuse me if these are dumb questions.

I understand that a macro can be defined inline, and I also understand how
it can be used to save typing for small code snippets OK but taking a step
back and looking at a larger use of macro's I understand that a macro can
contain anything a template can.

So what difference is there between #parse'ing a template and calling a
macro?

I know macro can be loaded into a global library, is their some inherent or
performance advantage to take a large template and turn it into a global
macro if it is used frequently by many other templates?  or are macro's just
a convenience method but aren't really any different from a template?

Rob