velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Donnie Hale" <don...@haleonline.net>
Subject RE: The "proper" way to configure/deploy Velocity servlets on anapp server?
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:15:56 GMT
Blair,

One thing to consider is that putting the file in "/" means that, in
general, it's accessible as a web document (e.g.
http://server:port/context/velocity.properties). If you put it in WEB-INF as
Endre originally mentioned, it can't be accessed because the spec dictates
that that directory not be accessible.

FWIW...

Donnie

-----Original Message-----
From: Blair Martin [mailto:blair1@mindspring.com]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 7:51 PM
To: Velocity Users List
Subject: Re: The "proper" way to configure/deploy Velocity servlets on
anapp server?

> There might be no path for your war/ear file. It might come off a
> database.. Or a CDrom.. or whatever. So do not expect paths to exist at
> all.
>
> Instead, you will have to rely on the servlet container to fetch stuff for
> you. (btw; a servlet container shall provide temporary directory for you
> to write files i, you find this by some env.variable).
>
> To get things relative to the webroot, use

servlet.getServletConfig().getServletContext().getResource[AsStream](String
> resource). Read the javadocs. This resource will come off the webroot, and
> to get stuff inside WEB-INF, you specify e.g.
> "/WEB-INF/thefile.properties" as the resource name.

Excellent. This is exactly the information I needed.

I've done something like this in loadConfiguration:

        Properties p = new Properties();
        String propsFile = "/velocity.properties";
        InputStream istream =
getServletContext().getResourceAsStream(propsFile);
        if ( istream != null )
{            p.load( istream );        }

Works great. Thanks.

Blair

For additional commands, e-mail: