velocity-user mailing list archives

From Sean Legassick <s...@informage.net>
Subject Re: #set silently fails if RHS is null
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 18:53:02 GMT
In message <B80F7D2C.A325%geirm@optonline.net>, Geir Magnusson Jr.
<geirm@optonline.net> writes
>If no one really objects, I can add this as a default-off switch to allow,
>when turned on, a null value on the RHS to remove the reference from the
>context, so things will behave as you expect.

I personally don't like the idea of using a configuration parameter to
determine language semantics. It seems a potential cause of nasty
hard-to-track bugs when moving templates from one site to another for
example.

Is there actually any reasonable use of the non-removing semantics? That
is, does anyone really write templates that take advantage of a #set
failing where the RHS is null? If not why not just change the behaviour
so at least it keeps VTL semantically consistent for a given release of
Velocity.

--
Sean Legassick
sean@informage.net