velocity-user mailing list archives

From Sean Legassick <s...@informage.net>
Subject Re: #set silently fails if RHS is null
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 16:48:52 GMT
In message <B81043E8.A56A%geirm@optonline.net>, Geir Magnusson Jr.
<geirm@optonline.net> writes
>The problem is that this is a 180 degree switch, so it won't do to just
>throw it in there.  By adding a switch, we can play with it and see if it
>really solves problems, and it prevents things from going haywire for people
>if they get a new nightly or something for a bugfix.

Sure - but I suspect unless people want the behaviour, they'll leave it
switched off and so the effect won't be tested.

>I say 'play with it' because the problem can easily be worked around via a
>tool, but that makes for funny templates.

But sure it makes it easy to try it both ways.

>One solution is adding an event handler to let the programmer make the
>decision...

That could also do it.

I don't have a strong view on the behaviour, personally saying that #set
with a RHS of null removes the object from the context works fine
conceptually. But I don't particularly mind the current behaviour
either.

I do feel strongly though that opening the door to configurable language
semantics is a bad move, it creates a precedent for people to suggest
all kinds of little switches and soon it will be impossible to tell what
a VTL template does just by looking at it.

(standard $0.02 type disclaimer)

--
Sean Legassick
sean@informage.net