velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel Dekany" <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: Quotation marks and CR in string literals?
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:30:25 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geir Magnusson Jr." <geirm@optonline.net>
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 4:46 PM

> On 3/25/02 10:29 AM, "Christoph Reck" <Christoph.Reck@dlr.de> wrote:
[snip]
> > Having newlines within parameter strings has been requested several
> > times, but Geir has not yet tackled it (and has not yet loosened
> > the reins saying "scratch it if it itches you...").
>
> That's pretty unfair, Christoph.
>
> I had the code working and ready a long time ago, and asked people what
they
> wanted.  We couldn't come to a conclusion, and I am always happy to fall
> back to "do nothing if no one wants it" rather than "stuff the codebase
full
> of one-off crap to satisfy someone's personal itch for their current app
> because they obviously know the Best Way"

:-/ I can't belive that the community likes that it is impossilbe to
describe some string literals without custom tools and/or vm-s. Perhaps
people here just don't really like to vote. Then, I reverse the question:
Who would hate if (s)he can put any characters (eg. quotation marks and
newlines) into string literals?

And I was also surprised that nobody has gived even a little +0.01 to my
escaping proposal. Yes, people are different, but the current rule is so
nonsense (IMO) that I can't uderstand why peope like it.

import com.mycompany.chars;
out.write("This is " + chars.q() + "quoted" + chars.q() + "  and" +
chars.n() + "this is in new line");

:>