velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Dmitri Colebatch" <...@bigpond.net.au>
Subject Re: directives, alternative implementation
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 02:43:44 GMT
Hi Geir,

Firstly - thanks for the quick response...  took 4 hours for the mail to leave my desktop
and get to the list, and then all of a
couple of minutes for you to respond (o:

> > ok... I'm trying to implement a javascript powered framework, allowing someone
> > to write javascript servlet/action style classes, and
> > use them in their pages on the server side.  Velocity seems to be a good
> > choice for the pages as javascript being a dynamicaly typed
> > interpreted language I need to be able to implement the glue between the pages
> > and the javascript classes at runtime, which Velocity
> > looks like it'll let me do.
>
> Why do you want to do this?

lol... I knew someone would ask this... its mainly just out of interest... and also I have
a friend who knows javascript very well,
but only works client side... him and I want to be able to make hobby sites, and I see this
as a way for him to develop logic when
he needs without having to learn java....

> > What I want to do, is in my servlet, put a couple of Javascript objects
> > (implementing the Rhino Scriptable interface) int he
> > context.  Thing is, when I call
> >
> > $myObject.foo()
> >
> > in my template, I need that to call a method
> >
> > jsFunction_foo()
> >
> > on that object ... essentially every directive will need to change in some
> > form for this to work.  So I'm looking in the
> > org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node package at classes like ASTReference,
> > which appear to be responsible for handling all this.
>
> Why do the directives have to change?  Why not wrap the javascript stuff in
> a Java class?

because the java class needs to be compiled and DynamicProxies dont work with reflection,
and the javascript is not available at
compile time.  Other options I see are:
 - generating java source from the javascript using some customer generator and compiling
that at runtime... yuk
 - using BCEL to generate bytecode with the appropriate interface.... this might be a better
option, but I've never used BCEL, so
I'm not sure...

> > 1. I've never used jjtree or Javacc before, and want to know how I should
> > understand the way the node package is created (from what
> > I gather it(/parts of it) is(/are) generated by this.
>
> That really isn't a question.

correct... I'll re-phrase... is there anything I should know when changing the contents of
the node package?  The readme hints there
is, but I'm missing the full view so am not sure.

> > 3. The way I'm looking at things so far, is something like this.... for
> > ASTIdentifier, I've added the following lines of code to
> > doIntrospection() after the last try...
> >
> >       if( executor.isAlive() == false)
> >       {
> >           executor = new ScriptablePropertyExecutor( rsvc, data, identifier );
> >       }
> >
> > and then made the new ScriptablePropertyExecutor a subclass of
> > PropertyExecutor and overridden the discover method.  This seems to
> > be the right thing to do, but I think that I'm going to have to get all the
> > pieces in the puzzle before it'll work properly.
> >
> > ok - so if anyone can offer any feedback, that would be great...  if not, I
> > might try the dev list.
>
> My question - why do this by changing velocity?  Why not put a layer in
> between the javascript and Velocity via a normal Java class?

see above explanation.  I hope that's clear.

thanks again for the quick response... hopefully the picture is a little clearer now.... I'll
look forward to more feedback.

thanks
dim