velocity-user mailing list archives

From David Warnock <da...@sundayta.com>
Subject Thanks From VisibleResults
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2002 21:53:26 GMT
Hi,

A big thank-you for Velocity.

On Thursday and Friday we had a development conference at Sundayta's
offices (http://www.sundayta.com) for VisibleResults
(http://www.visres.org and
http://www.sf.sourceforge.net/projects/visibleresults).

We had 11 people (2 client representatives, 1 graphic designer, 1 tester
and documenter, 6 developers and me as chief coffee maker). All agreed
it was a great success.

For it's MVC architecture VisibleResults now uses:-

     Model = Java Relational Framework aka JRF see
       http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/jrf

     View = Velocity see
       http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/index.html

     Controller = ActionServlet see
       http://dione.zcu.cz/~toman40/ActionServlet/

Our Database is Firebird see http://www.firebirdsql.com using the new
Java_Client.

We got all layers working fully together with some unit tests, we were
also able to integrate the HTML Trees from Melati
(http://www.melati.org). We designed a huge amount of the user interface
and still had time for learning Extreme Programming by doing it. What is
more we also had some great food (Tim, was that a whole sheep?) and company.

Our thanks to everyone involved in these great open source projects as
well as all the others we use in this project (above and beyond our
complete GNU/Linux systems). That includes

     Ant for building see http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/index.html

     JUnit for unit tests see http://www.junit.org

     Jikes as our compiler see http://www.jikes.org

If you would like to know more as either a contributor or user about
VisibleResults (which is a GPL'd Fundraising Application for charities
and a more general Contact Management System) then I would love to hear
from you.

Regards

Dave Warnock
Managing Director