velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Velocitymacro caching independent of template
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:56:19 GMT
On 3/11/02 1:00 PM, "Terry Steichen" <terry@net-frame.com> wrote:

> Geir,
>
> Yes, that does work.  Thanks.
>
> <$.02>Given that the macro I was using was in scope to its own template, it
> was (and is) a bit counterintuitive to see what that has to do with global
> macros.  To have this as default behavior could lead (as it did for me) to a
> lot of frustration (before I finally figured it out).  I kept trying because
> I knew how well Velocity worked - newcomers might get a surprise on
> this.</$.02>

Yes, agreed to some degree, but the reason is historical.

1) We didn't have the concept of 'namespace', associating macros with the
template that registered it.

2) We wanted to protect the library macro definitions from 'malicious'
replacement by user templates.

System and Software Consulting
"Now what do we do?"