velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Pete Kazmier" <p...@kazmier.com>
Subject [DVSL] Memory problems
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 01:49:20 GMT
I'm using DVSL to transform some reports for Maven, and I'm running into
memory problems it seems.  The size of the input file is about 6Meg.  My
computer has 512Meg and only only 77Meg is used by the JVM before it
craps out on me.  I've posted the XML input file and DVSL stylesheet on
my web server in the event anyone wants to try and recreate.

http://www.kazmier.com/~kaz/vel-dev-list/site.dvsl
http://www.kazmier.com/~kaz/vel-dev-list/checkstyle-report.xml

Here is the exception I get:

[kaz@coco jakarta-turbine-maven]$ java org.apache.tools.dvsl.DVSL -STYLE ~/public_html/vel-dev-list/site.dvsl-IN
~/public_html/vel-dev-list/checkstyle-report.xml > /tmp/report.html

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation
of method 'applyTemplates' in  class org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer threw exception class
org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException : Invocation of method 'applyTemplates'
in  class org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer threw exception class org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException
: Invocation of method 'applyTemplates' in  class org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer threw
exception class java.lang.OutOfMemoryError : null
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java:308)
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java:207)
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.render(ASTReference.java:250)
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTBlock.render(ASTBlock.java:94)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.TemplateHandler.render(TemplateHandler.java:143)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer.invoke(Transformer.java:216)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer.transform(Transformer.java:201)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer.transform(Transformer.java:179)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer.transform(Transformer.java:165)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.DVSL.xform(DVSL.java:531)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.DVSL.transform(DVSL.java:569)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.DVSL.main(DVSL.java:698)

It should be noted that I am not using DVSL from the command line like
this in Maven, instead I use the Ant DVSL task, in which case the "Out of
Memory" problems occur with an input file thats only 3Meg in size.  To
recreate the problem using the command-line, I had to roughly double the
size of the input file.  Nonetheless, the result is the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pete