velocity-user mailing list archives

From Mike Williams <m...@bigfoot.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] vDoclet project
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 10:32:38 GMT
  >>> On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 04:04:23 -0700 (PDT),
  >>> "Konstantin" == Konstantin Priblouda <kpriblouda@yahoo.com> wrote:

  Konstantin> Hmm, I already tried to implement velocity based templates in
  Konstantin> xdoclet.  Nothing advanced, just proof of concept.

Hi Konstantin.  Sounds good.  Keep up the good work.  Is the plan to
re-work all the existing templates to use Velocity, or will it just be an
alternate syntax?

  Konstantin> I suppose you look at xdoclet, and put your work there.

Er, I'd prefer to keep it separate, at least for now.  There are various
ideas I want to experiment with:

  - Using Velocity templates.  Note that this means actually using Velocity
    for all the templating, not just supporting Velocity as an alternative.

  - Test-first design.  I've tried to write unit-tests for features before
    I implement them.  As a result, the EJB object-model at the core of
    vDoclet is fairly robust.

  - Avoiding the named-parameter syntax within tag values.  Sorry, but I
    just dislike it.  So far, I've managed to avoid "structured" tags in
    vDoclet (though I'm yet to tackle the EJB-2.0 relationship issue :-)

For now, since both the tags and templates are different, it's easier for
me to play with this stuff separately, without worrying about XDoclet
legacy.  I wouldn't rule out a merge sometime later, if it seems useful for
both projects.  In the meantime, I'm very happy if you want to borrow
ideas/code from vDoclet ... I've certainly got a bunch of good ideas from
XDoclet!

--
cheers,
Mike