velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Whitespace, redux
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:52:54 GMT
On 4/15/02 6:55 AM, "Peter Romianowski" <megapero@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have to say the whitespace problem is the ONE which
> I would love to see fixed (in any way). It's the (only)
> "PITA" :) with it from the very beginning...
> And I think that a <? ?> solution would be great.
> Although the #output("off") - thing would perhaps be more
> in the velocity-style.

The cool thing about the #output()/#echo() is that it appears to solve quite
a few problems at once.

Now, I haven't played with it, and still have some suspicions,  but I
certainly am going to implement it (outside of Vel core) and see what
happens.

The use of a preprocessor of some type also may be a solution but moves
control away from the designer.  Note, the preprocessor idea is a specific
usecase for the more general input/output filters that we have discussed
since the earth cooled....

Also, I have been playing (just playing) with AST xformations.  Again, an
interesting approach, but also has the downside that the control is taken
away from the designer.

Hm.  Much to consider.

> And since the use of it would be optional, you would not
> break anything...
>
> Are there plans on implementing such thing at all? I see
> discussions about that come and go for a while now...
>
> Having such a thing would make velocity REALLY the best
> choice over JSP and stuff!

:)

>--
System and Software Consulting
Java : the speed of Smalltalk with the simple elegance of C++...